Subject: Re: (urth) Free Live Free round table: Oz

From: Alice K. Turner <aturner6 at nyc.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 03:27:34 +0000

>From mantis:

> Rostrum wrote:
> >The Four Thrones of Narnia, occupied
> >by two Sons of Adam and two Daughters of Eve who walk through a magical
> >door which does something weird to time and changes them from children to
> >adults and back again.
>
> That is an interesting parallel, and I'll leave it to our Oz experts to
say
> how Narnia might be a British "Oz."  For the couples I was mentioning
> before, well, the Narnia four are all siblings, iirc, and that would be
> incest.

I'm an Oz "expert," and there is no connection whatever. I doubt that Lewis
ever read Baum. But just for starters, Dorothy Betsey and Trot, three little
American girls, are children forever, somewhere between nine and eleven, but
never reaching puberty. Ozma is scarcely more--she is often referred to as
the "girl-ruler." And Baum would never have been so treacherous to one of
them as Lewis was to Susan.
[rest of long post snipped]

-alga

--