Subject: (urth) Green Room

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.geis.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 18:32:00 +0000

[Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]

Reply:  Item #3735819 from URTH at LISTS.BEST.COM@INET00#

vizcacha,

Thanks for the note on "Green Room"--I knew of it because the same
(no doubt derived from the theatrical tradition) is used at
conventions (informal pre-panel prep room for panel participants),
but I still wonder as to the etymology or historical reasons as to
how and why.  (Does anybody know?)

What we have so far certainly deserves mention in "Additions, Errata,
&cetera: volume 3," as well as all the other tidbits slated and a
huge amount about Kardashev Type I, Type II, and Type III (levels of
interstellar civilization); the 20th century science (and subsequent
science fiction) regarding a possibly already dying sun; the text
points of TBOTNS suggesting a black hole in the Sun (this lack in the
LEXICON is shocking); terraforming timelines, stellaforming, and
other relevant notes from Fogg's TERRAFORMING, and so on.

Will there be room for the article on "ProtoS" (the proto-Severian)?
Probably not, but we shall see.

=mantis=

---

From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan at gnt.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 13:34:05 +0000

Green Book. Green Room. Green Man.

Can someone remind me where the Green Room is found in the BONS?

Are there other green things?

The Severian Quintet needs to be scanned into Word or Wordperfect, so we
can search for themes like this.

Nutria

---

From: CRCulver <crculver at aol.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 20:17:19 +0000

I've thought the same thing. It would be a great help for we BotNS scholars.
Too bad it would grossly violate copyright law <g>.

Christopher R. Culver <crculver at aol.com>
http://members.aol.com/crculver/index.html
------------------------------------------------
"Ignorance, that light of fools steers a wayward path"
-Brendan Perry