Subject: (urth) In the Sewer

From: James Jordan <jbjordan4 at cox.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 19:25:53 +0000

At 11:11 AM 12/3/2002, you wrote:

>I have kind of wondered about that. Has anyone come up with
>any reason _why_ the VP wanted that sewer cleaned? Did they
>do it just to give him a sword? Seems kind of unlikely.

>--Blattid

         1. Seems Herculean, and given Wolfe's interest in and  knowledge 
of Greek myth, such might be at least one allusion. But I'm not up on 
legends about Hercules/Herakles, so I'll toss this ball to anyone who wants 
to bat at it. Is there anything specific about the Augean Stables Cleansing 
that would fit in here?
         2. Is this a test of sorts? Jesus said, "Those who would be great 
among you must be slaves of all." Horn (Horn Plus) is on his way to 
becoming a ruler, in different ways, in three cultures. He's "rewarded" 
with a sword, right? Cleaning a toilet seems not only Herculean, but also a 
very humble work. "If you're willing to do this, then you are ready to 
rule." "Only those who are willing to do this kind of thing are fit for 
rule." Is that part of it?
         2b. Is cleaning out this sewer analogous to Horn Plus's later 
political activities? (I love the line in *Last Action Hero* that goes 
something like "There's something rotten in the state of Denmark, and 
Hamlet's here to take out the trash!") David killed a lion and a bear to 
prepare him to kill Goliath. Horn Plus cleans out a sewer to prepare him 
for political office.
         Well, them's  my thoughts. Maybe someone has some others.

Nutria

--