Subject: (urth) WTF?

From: maa32 <maa32 at dana.ucc.nau.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 13:40:59 +0000

I scanned the recent message on the Urth archive with some chagrin - what has 
the world come to when a Wolfe mailing list is used to pull off an identity 
scam in Nigeria?  It's kind of fitting.  I had a similar message in my 
individual inbox last week, from a different sender.  Anyone else get this 
message individually, or was it just me?  Take care.
Marc Aramini

--

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <ddanehy at siebel.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 16:55:51 +0000

> I scanned the recent message on the Urth archive with some 
> chagrin - what has the world come to when a Wolfe mailing
> list is used to pull off an identity scam in Nigeria? 

Odd. I did not receive this.

> It's kind of fitting. 

Indeed it is. And while I have not seen any specifically
Wolfean responses to the Nigeria scam, members of this list
might be amused by this Lovecraftian response (not totally
irrelevant; there are some clear Lovecraft hommages in 
"New Sun"):

http://www.geocities.com/steerp1ke/David_Ehi.html

> I had a similar message in my individual inbox last week,
> from a different sender.  Anyone else get this message
> individually, or was it just me?  Take care.

I've gotten a number of these over the last year or so --
they've almost become an art form of their own, a sort of
constantly mutating and shifting set of details around a
basic core of grift.

--

---

From: Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 20:48:52 +0000

the world come to when a Wolfe mailing list is used to pull off an identity
scam in Nigeria?  It's kind of fitting.  I had a similar message in my
individual inbox last week, from a different sender.  Anyone else get this
message individually, or was it just me?  Take care.<<

Yeah, I got the list message too. I've also had the same (or similar; I
didn't read it that closely) message several times in recent months. I
deleted it but, iirc, it had a"sent" date sometime in October? I hope
Ranjit doesn't let the message even appear in the archives. Surely he can
remove it.

-Roy

--