Subject: (urth) I recant. but I wasn't REALLY wrong

From: maa32 <maa32 at dana.ucc.nau.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 23:47:10 +0000

Mr. Wolfe has weighed in.  I don't know if I can even post about short sun 
anymore.
I know the truth now :(

Gene Wolfe is far trickier than any of us could ever possibly imagine.  Ever.  
No one was right - all your reasons for Urth not being Blue AREN'T valid ones.
 There IS one valid reason it probably isn't Blue.  I don't know what to do.

In regards to Urth in the old New Sun book, there ARE sentient trees on it!  
:)  Maybe even cannibal trees. That's all I'm going to say.  Good fishing.  
Holy crap.  How could one man be so damned brilliant?!!! Merry Christmas, Marc 
Aramini.  Be careful what you ask for - you might get it. :(
Just remember that I wasn't really, really wrong.  Just kind of.  But not 
really.  I don't know what to tell you.  If anyone else comes up with the 
"solution" of the text independently, I will start posting again about Short 
Sun.
Marc Aramini

--

---

From: Don Doggett <harlekin at earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 03:31:32 +0000

Marc wrote (in a confusing, intriguing, borderline infuriating way)

> Mr. Wolfe has weighed in.  I don't know if I can even post about short sun

Does this mean that Gene Wolfe actually told you the answer?  Or did you
read it somewhere?  What what what are you saying?

>  There IS one valid reason it probably isn't Blue.  I don't know what to
do.

I think I know the answer to this but I don't know how to justify it or
explain the mechanics.  What I would guess and what I've toyed with in my
head in the past is that Blue is Lune and Green is Urth.  That's the only
way I can see that you could be wrong but not really and only have one
reason why Urth isn't Blue.  Why Wolfe would do this and what it means to
the text I can't begin to fathom.  Of course I could just be out in lala
land.

> "solution" of the text independently, I will start posting again about
Short

Breathe.  Just breathe.

Don "the hound of the Baskervilles" Doggett

--

---

From: William Ansley <wansley at warwick.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 06:28:14 +0000

>Mr. Wolfe has weighed in.  I don't know if I can even post about short sun

It sounds like you were enlightened, Marc, unless it was just a brain 
embolism. <g>
-- 

William Ansley

--

---

From: Nigel Price <nigel.a.price at virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 10:49:23 +0000

Marc wrote...

>>Mr. Wolfe has weighed in.  I don't know
>>if I can even post about short sun anymore.
>>I know the truth now :(

*Please*, Marc, stop being a tease and pass on what GW said to you! I for
one would love to know what on Urth the Short Sun books are about!

Could you cut and paste his messages in their entirety and post them on the
list (sans e-mail address, of course)? Or could you post them to me
off-list, if you would prefer?

To have lurked here so dilligently and for so long and then to be denied
enlightenment is a prospect I find hard to face...

Nigel (clueless in the mud of Minety - but at least he now knows who has
been moving the furniture around while he wasn't looking...Thanks, Don!)

--

---

From: Tami Whitehead <razorkittee at yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 17:57:09 +0000

Mr. Marc, I am delurking, it seems you are in some
distress...

I have only just started with the Long Sun, so am only
guessing, but could this have to do with the green man
in Torturer, who...well, you know...the plant thing...

Back to lurking...

Razorkittee

--- maa32 <maa32 at dana.ucc.nau.edu> wrote:
> http://www.urth.net/
> To unsubscribe: send "unsubscribe" to
urth-request at urth.net

__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
http://mailplus.yahoo.com

--