Subject: (urth) TAD Epiphany

From: Jeff Veyera <teflon93 at cox.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 04:42:28 +0000

It was regarding the identity of the president of the alternate world---I'll
have to reread the entire thing to see if it really pans out, but I was
floored when Wolfe pulled the rug out at the end nonetheless.  You think the
book is about a man chasing a goddess, then it turns out to be something
very different entirely.

I frankly should have known better, having reread "Peace" just before, which
seems like such a quaint little piece of John Irving-style oddity until
everything comes together in the reader's mind.

The closest cinematic experience I can think to reading Wolfe is the climax
to "Sixth Sense" or, more aptly, to "Memento."

Teflon

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Stephanides [mailto:adamsteph at earthlink.net]
Sent: Friday, December 20, 2002 7:17 PM
To: urth at urth.net
Subject: Re: (urth) Jack Vance or There are Doors?

on 12/19/02 7:45 PM, Jeff Veyera at teflon93 at cox.net wrote:

> I just finished reading There Are Doors.  I found it to be pretty mundane
> until experiencing the usual Wolfean epiphany late, which of course makes
me
> want to reread the whole thing again to figure out what really was going
on.

I'm curious; what was your epiphany?  I had an epiphany of a sort while
pondering TAD, but I don't know whether it was the same as yours.

--Adam

--

--