Subject: (urth) Nessus

From: Paul C Duggan <pduggan at world.std.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 07:39:05 +0000

[Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]

Isn't Nessus also one of the circles of Hell? (assuming my AD&D knowledge
hasn't deceived me :-) )

"I am an impure thinker. I am hurt, swayed, shaken, |  paul           + | +
elated, disillusioned, shocked, comforted, and I    |                 --|--
have to transmit my mental experiences lest I die." |                 + | +
                     --  Eugen Rosenstock-Huessy    |  pduggan at world.std.com

---

From: Alice Turner <al at interport.net>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 09:03:48 +0000

Welcome, Matthew,

>In the light of the above I don't see much good to be had trying to
identify
>Nessus or other landmarks from our Earth, but to nay-say Buenos Aires:
Nessus
>isn't and wasn't a coastal city; the plate river isn't big enough;

Um, Nessus isn't now but *was* a coastal city. Can't recall off-hand who,
but one of the "wise" characters (one of the ones we can trust) tells Sev
that. Which goes along with my own theory that Nessus is a post-Alexandria.
(Oh, I know, I know, no one wants to hear this. But it's a lovely theory,
and I can go on and on and......on.)

Nice to see all you Brits aboard. So I'll throw in a Brit recommendation.
Those of you who have some interest in Dr. Talos's play, or just like the
theatrical atmosphere, would like Barry Unsworth's -Morality Play-, about a
troupe of players, set in 14th century England. The twists in it, and even
the general atmosphere, are quite Wolfean.

-alga-

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/