Subject: (urth) Virus alert!

From: Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 03:08:31 +0000

All,

I received an e-mail this afternoon at 3:03 central time, subject line
"Happy Christmas" from list-member Stone Ox. It crashed Outlook Express when
I highlighted it (fortunately!), so I couldn't tell if it was sent to me as
an individual or to all list members, so beware. It is infected with the
Klez virus. Don't open the attachments and check your hard drives for any
infections. I have never corresponded with Stone Ox, so I shouldn't have
been in his address book, which is how the virus is spread, I think. So, if
I got the e-mail, you probably all did. Take care.

-Roy

--

---

From: Alice K. Turner <aturner6 at nyc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 02:53:28 +0000

This thing is rampant. I've received it three times today as an attachment
from dnsanchez at msn.com (whose messages I have now blocked; you might
consider doing that in advance). It's morphed from an earlier Klez virus
that Norton now can cope with. Don't let your Norton lapse--it always
catches up eventually! Don't open attached Xmas greetings if you don't
recognize the sender! This is not a nasty virus, one of those evil worm
things, just prankish. In the earlier version, which I was also lucky enough
to get, it (a) made me unable to get the Norton quarantine notice off my
desktop (that is fixed); (b) cricket sounds, not unpleasant, turn up at
irregular intervals, even when I'm playing music (that has just started up
again, though I opened none of the attachments).

Merry Christmas, every one,
-alga

--

---

From: Fernando Q. Gouvea <fqgouvea at colby.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 03:05:33 +0000

Hi, folks. You should note that Klez will fake the "from" line in the email
it sends, so that the apparent sender is not always the real sender.

Merry Christmas to all!

Fernando

-- 

Fernando Q. Gouvea                      
Department of Mathematics          Editor, FOCUS and MAA Online
Colby College                      Mathematical Association of America
Waterville, ME 04901               http://www.maa.org
fqgouvea at colby.edu                      
==========================================================

Best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible,
stress-free, non-addictive, gender neutral, seasonal solstice holiday,
practiced within the most joyous traditions of the religious persuasion of
your choice, but with respect for the religious persuasion of others who
choose to practice their own religion as well as those who choose not to
practice a religion at all.

--