Subject: (urth) terraforming or something else?

From: maa32 <maa32 at dana.ucc.nau.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 15:55:08 +0000

As far as I understand it, the oxygen given off by trees might aid in the 
formation of rain and in the formation of an atmosphere, right?

Here is something interesting - remember that Lune is bigger than the moon in 
our time, according to Rudesind the currator.  This either means it was moved 
closer or it was replaced with a much larger object.  When the long night 
begins in the miracle of Apu Punchau, instead of the ship blocking out the 
sun, could Severian summon Urth (a doubled version he grabs from somewhen, 
maybe when he feels himself doubling and splitting in two in that scene where 
he leaves through his own ear in Citadel of the Autarch at the pelerines 
altar) and replace the moon with it?  Could the passage of the white fountain 
create a twin of Urth?  To save Severian in the past with an Urthly eclipse?  
Could reality have been altered in the solar system so that there are, and 
always have been, twin worlds?  Could the introduction or swapping of a planet 
produce an unstable orbital pattern such as those exhibited by the blue/green 
system?  Could the picture of buzz aldron just be from a previous cycle?

I am sure that Green is Urth now. But I don't know what blue is anymore.  And 
if Mr. Wolfe randomly doubled the Urth system, how the hell were we supposed 
to figure that out?  Seems like cheating either way, doesn't it?

By the way, there is evidence that there isn't the same kind of biotic life on 
Blue that there is on Green, and that Blue is even colder than the Urth of 
Severian's time.  Here is my question - if Green is bigger, but farther away, 
than the moon of our time, what kind of effect would it have on the tides of a 
hypothetically flooded moon?  They would be greater from farther away than the 
effect of the moon on our tides from a closer range, right?

And if people were doubled somehow, and the planet doubled as well through 
some kind of mirror reality created through Inire's mirror universe, might not 
they appear doubled in limbs, too?  As the vanished people do?  Have people 
gone up one dimension, and as a result become "weird" looking?

I am so confused right now.

Marc Aramini

--

---

From: tom <tom at bitterman.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 20:10:09 +0000

> gone up one dimension, and as a result become "weird" looking?

Maybe I'm just stating the obvious here, but the "doubled" people
seem right out of Aristophanes speech in the _Symposium_.  See:
http://ibiblio.org/gutenberg/etext99/sympo10.txt.  The Neighbors
are then the "old guard" - they're the best the classical world
could come up with, yet have failed to meet the challenge of the
inhumi.  It's time now for Christianity to have a go at it.  Where
do the Neighbors go?  Into mythology.

> Marc Aramini

Tom

--