Subject: (urth) RE: Wraiths, Waifs and Wolves

From: Nigel Price <nigel.a.price at virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 23:17:37 +0000

Very much looking forward to the three upcoming Wolfe volumes which Dr Nick
mentions. Does he or anyone else know which stories are going to be included
in the "Wraiths, Waifs and Wolves" collection?

I bought a copy of "The Mammoth Book of Best New Science Fiction 15" today.
This is Gardner Dozois's pick of what he regards as the best 26 SF stories
of 2001. No Wolfe stories are included in the anthology, but three of his
titles are given an "honourable mention" in an appendix listing the best
"other" stories of 2001.

The three Wolfe stories mentioned are:

	"In Glory Like Their Star" (F&SF, October/November)
	"Queen" (Realms of Fantasy, December)
	"Viewpoint" (Redshift)

Obviously, I was wondering whether these stories would be included in the
forthcoming "W,W&W" collection. I haven't read any of them. I remember the
first being discussed on the list when it came out, but have no recollection
of anyone's comments on the other two. Are they any good?

Nigel

--

---

From: Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 06:14:37 +0000

>in the "Wraiths, Waifs and Wolves" collection?

He posted the contents in September. Here:

< http://urth.net/urth/archives/v0209/1771.txt.shtml >

>of anyone's comments on the other two. Are they any good?

"Queen" is in it. It's pretty short. It may be the simplest story I've ever
read by Wolfe. That is, I felt I knew what it was about before I even
finished it. I don't think I would be giving away anything that isn't quite
obvious, but here is some spoiler space.

It's an overtly religious story about the Assumption of Mary.

-Roy

--

---

From: Nigel Price <nigel.a.price at virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 19:06:11 +0000

In reply to my query on the contents of the forthcoming collection of GW

>>< http://urth.net/urth/archives/v0209/1771.txt.shtml >

Whoops! I don't recall that at all. Thanks, Roy. I clearly haven't being
paying proper attention.

There still seem to be plenty of uncollected Gene Wolfe short stories out
there. When are we going to see the publication of a uniform, multi-volume
edition of "The Complete Literary Works of Gene Wolfe", I wonder? These
things come out after an author's death, so in that sense I certainly hope
that it won't be published for many years yet. On the other hand, it would
be a useful work to have. While I'm dreaming, a searchable electronic
version of the complete texts would be useful too!

(The "Complete Works" should really be published as a proper, annotated,
"Variorum" edition, of course. Perhaps some of the contributions to the Urth
list will eventually make their way into the apparatus criticus or
marginalia...)

Nigel

--

---

From: Josh Geller <dclxvi at dclxvi.best.vwh.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 19:21:29 +0000

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Nigel Price wrote:

> that it won't be published for many years yet.

The 'Vance Integral Edition' is scheduled to come out in February.

Jack Vance is pretty old, but he's not dead yet.

.

--