Subject: Re: Re: (urth) Black Sun, Wh

From: Tony Ellis <tony.ellis at futurenet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 16:02:38 +0000

[Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]

                                                                      16/02/98
                                                                      09:37
 RE>Re: (urth) Black Sun, White Fountain

Kieran Cleary wrote:
>So to be explicit: It seems plausible that the black hole in the Old Sun is
>*directly* connected to the White Fountain. Energy/matter exiting through
>the black hole in the Old Sun appears from the mouth of the White Fountain.

I love the economy of this theory, but... We are told that the White Fountain
is releasing energy from another universe into our own. Also, In TUOTNS we
get to see the White Fountain being created. Since this takes place in
Yesod I would assume that this is the universe from which the fountain
draws its energy.

Rostrum wrote:
>Except I still obviously don't understand anything because if the world
>Severian returns to is a whole new universe, then the Urth of the first
>four books never gets a New Sun, it just dies with the old one.

Severian doesn't return to a new universe. He visits a new one when he
goes to Yesod, but the universe he returns to is the same old one he
left.