Subject: (urth) Doors: foreshadowing Kypris in LS

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at siriusfiction.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 03:31:02 +0000

alga wrote:
>I have no intention of reading Doors again, but this is also a description
>of Silk and Hy.

Exactly.  The differences being that Silk is intelligent and highly
educated (in contrast to dumb Green), Silk is melancholic (Green seems
optimistic), and Silk sees through the mask (a difference: Silk has a
mortal woman who was possessed for a time by Kypris, but Green has the
genuine goddess . . . meaning that Silk is the mark for a bait and switch
number, and got stuck with the Fanny that Green rejected) and gets suicidal
(whereas Green happily marches off to Appleland).

(Oh hey, the postal code/state abbreviation for Marea's area is apparantly
"AX."  Interesting in a few mantic ways, "ax" being the most obvious.)

Wolfe seems to take great joy in working the metal copper into the story,
presumably because copper is the metal of Aphrodite.  North's lockpick is
made from copper wire he pulls from the wall . . . his talk of electricity
then can be seen in some way as being about Love.  Think I'm kidding?  Lara
uses the tv to look at Green in his hospital room, then blows the set out
(shades of KTV, that is KyprisTV, in LS).  She also shows him a playback of
his real world apartment at the time when he called and the strange guy
answered (this stuff has always reminded me of David Lynch: in fact, TAD
and CASTLEVIEW seem like Lynch movies to me).

The cold hotel room is heated with a copper brazier.  And so on.

=mantis=

--