Subject: (urth) Will there ever be a Book of the Old Sun?

From: Anthony Ferrara <ajferrara72 at yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 16:43:49 +0000

Since Wolfe complemented (title wise, that is) his Book of the Long Sun series with a Book of the Short Sun series, why not write a Book of the Old Sun series? Obviously, this could take place before 
Anthony

---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now

--

---

From: Josh Geller <dclxvi at dclxvi.best.vwh.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 16:48:50 +0000

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, Anthony Ferrara wrote:

> Since Wolfe complemented (title wise, that is) his Book of the Long Sun
> series with a Book of the Short Sun series, why not write a Book of the
> Old Sun series? Obviously, this could take place before   >

After he's written some more Latro stories.

.

--

---

From: Anthony Ferrara <ajferrara72 at yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 17:19:03 +0000

I haven't read the Soldier books yet, but may order the Latro in the Mist omnibus. How would you rate them compared to Wolfe's other work?
Anthony
 Josh Geller <dclxvi at dclxvi.best.vwh.net> wrote:

.

-- 

--

---

From: Josh Geller <dclxvi at dclxvi.best.vwh.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 17:52:21 +0000

> I haven't read the Soldier books yet, but may order the Latro in the
> Mist omnibus. How would you rate them compared to Wolfe's other work?

They may be right up there with 'The Book Of The New Sun'. It's hard to
say, as the story is not complete.

.

--

---

From: Michael Straight <straight at email.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 01:53:45 +0000

> Mist omnibus. How would you rate them compared to Wolfe's other work?

I like them as much or more than Wolfe's other novels.

-Rostrum

--

---

From: James Jordan <jbjordan4 at cox.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 18:33:51 +0000

At 10:43 AM 1/19/2003, you wrote:

>Old Sun series? Obviously, this could take place befo
>
>Anthony

Latro, man. Latro lives before the Ultimate New Sun arrived in history (the 
theoanthropos). He lives at the beginning of time, when memory is short, 
unlike Severian, who lives toward the end, when memory is almost 
infallible. Thematically, anyway, Latro is what you are looking for. Let's 
hope he lives to finish it the way he planned.
         It would be interesting to read the Soldier books with an eye on 
the Severian quintet, and see how many things are thematically or 
narratively  parallel. I suspect there's a lot.

Nutria

--

---

From: James Jordan <jbjordan4 at cox.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 18:35:45 +0000

>I like them as much or more than Wolfe's other novels.

You might want to skim Bulfinch's Mythology before starting in. You've 
gotta know a bit, yea more than a bit, about ancient Greek mythology. And 
if the series continues, you're going to have to know something about 
Zoroastrianism also, I suspect.

Nutria

--

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <ddanehy at siebel.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 19:13:19 +0000

To Anthony's:

> > ... why not write a Book of the Old Sun ...

Nutria respondeth:

> Latro, man. Latro lives before the Ultimate New Sun arrived=20
> in history (the theoanthropos).=20

... an interesting point. I'd noticed some of the obvious
contrasts, but thinkin of it as a BotOS had not occurred to
me. Yeah, may he finish it; I want to see how important Apollo
turns out to be in all this ...

--

---

From: Ryan Thistlethwaite <shintemaster at hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 21:50:26 +0000

Who is he George Lucas?! I like a little MYSTERY in my life. The Old Sun is just that, OLD... 

--