Subject: (urth) Latro, where are you?

From: PMorris33 <pmorris33 at aol.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 02:08:10 +0000

Does anyone have any information about the Latro series?  It seems that Wolfe left many hints in "Arete" that the story of Latro is to be continued.  And we still haven't figured out what he was doing
--

---

From: James Wynn <crushtv at hotpop.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 13:11:57 +0000

Does anyone have any information about the Latro series?  It seems that
Wolfe left many hints in "Arete" that the story of Latro is to be continued.
And we still haven't figured out what he was doing

[Soldier Series spoilers to continue...]

Crush responds:
Well, since Latro hasn't gotten home to Italy (as Apollo suggested he
would), the story can be said to not be complete. However, since in Arete,
Latro fulfills Artemis' requirements of him and receives his requested
reward (to be reunited with his friends), the Soldier novels could not be
considered **brutally** unfinished.

I thought it was apparent that Wolfe intended more than **one** extra novel.
I interpreted Apollo's prophecy to mean that after Jerusalem Wolfe intended
his hero to go to South America before he got back home. I **presumed** he
was to go to India on the way and North America, Scandinavia, and Britain on
the way back. Wolfe is a septuagenarian; I doubt we're going to see the
series completed as it was originally envisioned.

-- Crush

--

---

From: Josh Geller <dclxvi at dclxvi.best.vwh.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 16:36:37 +0000

In conversation at WorldCon, I asked Gene Wolfe when we were going to see
more Latro books, and he replied that he would write some more when he was
finished with his current project.

.

--