Subject: (urth) Apollo and Pan

From: James Jordan <jbjordan4 at cox.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 22:33:27 +0000

The recent mention of Apollo in reference to Severian reminded me of 
something I meant to share earlier. In Ovid, and in Bach's cantata *The 
Contest of Phoebus and Pan,* we have a story of a musical battle between 
Pan (Pas) and Phoebus (Apollo). Pan's music is earthly; Apollo's heavenly. 
Pan challenges Apollo, seeking to usurp the god's position. He loses, of 
course.

Sort of interesting grist for the old Lupine mill, isn't it? I doubt if 
Wolfe knows the Bach, but I'll bet he knows the Ovid.

Nutria

--

---

From: Andrew Bollen <abollen at internode.on.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 22:48:17 +0000

Pan was also the only god to have actually died, according to
somebody-or-other.

--

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <ddanehy at siebel.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 00:33:27 +0000

> Pan was also the only god to have actually died, according to=20
> somebody-or-other.

Not so; Dionysius also died. Frequently.

--

---

From: Andrew Bollen <abollen at internode.on.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 00:40:16 +0000

-------------

"Died" as in died, and not reborn.

-- 

--

---

From: James Wynn <crushtv at hotpop.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 18:01:48 +0000

>"Died" as in died, and not reborn.

Also, different from the resurrected Zeus whose grave(s?) was displayed to
pilgrims at Crete. I believe **this** comes into to play in "The Long Sun"
with Pas' reputed death.

The report of Pan's death comes from Plutarch. See the final note on "Pan
His Nature and Deeds" in Graves' "The Greek Myths" for details on this.
-- Crush

--