Subject: (urth) for andrew - silk surfaces because horn leaves

From: maa32 <maa32 at dana.ucc.nau.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 14:27:53 +0000

I MUST disagree with Andrew on Babbie going into Horn - the reason that Silk 
surfaces in this scene is because Horn wants to leave and be done with his 
story - that's why he says goodbye under that big tree.  He leaves, but the 
tree sends him into Babbie.  Re-read the end of Return to the Whorl where 
Babbie is present in the astral visit - he continually points to his "HORNS" 
saying "huh-huh-huh" and hugs Horn's son vigorously, not letting him go and 
looking at him protectively.  This is the action of a father seeing his son, 
but his son doesn't recognize him.

Silk comes to the fore here - the voice in narration changes right after Horn 
says goodbye.  Then Silk tries to deny that a part of Horn had to leave for 
Silk to surface, and he represses his identity so that Horn may live, just as 
Horn tried to suppress his identity so Silk might live.  This all occurs at 
the end of On Blue's Waters.  Remember that Horn has to ride a beast with 
three horns, Babbie.  There is too much evidence for Horn going into Babbie to 
think that Babbie goes into Horn/Silk.

Marc Aramini

--

---

From: Andrew Bollen <abollen at internode.on.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 14:50:22 +0000

Marc wrote:

> tree sends him into Babbie.

But SilkHorn saying goodbye to Nettle etc under the tree happens *after* the
calling episode.

> Re-read the end of Return to the Whorl where

A problem with this remains: why can Scylla-spirit-in-Oreb articulate words,
where Horn-spirit-in-Babbie cannot? I can buy a little of this, though:
Babbie has been in Horn on my reading, so maybe some Horniness sticks?

> says goodbye.

But (textually, at least), the meeting in the forest happens immediately
after the goodbye.

> Remember that Horn has to ride a beast with
> three horns, Babbie.

But SilkHorn says explicitly in his account of the first meeting with Mucor
and Marble (OBW, end Ch 3): "On Green I rode a three-horned beast, as
Maytera foresaw. Indeed, I was riding it at the time I was wounded fatally."

--

---

From: cilluff1 at optonline.net <cilluff1 at optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:09:48 +0000

Andrew Bollen writes:

<>

I would imagine that is because Oreb, as a night chough, could articulate
words even before Scylla entered him much like a parrot can, but hus cannot
articulate words at all.  Scylla entering Oreb gave more purpose to Oreb's
speech (or a different purpose, if night choughs "speak" rather than
mimic), but Oreb always could articulate.

- Shell   

--------------------------------------------------------------------
mail2web - Check your email from the web at
http://mail2web.com/ .

--