Subject: (urth) Gene Wolfe in Wikipedia

From: Christopher Culver <christopher_culver at yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 15:45:25 +0000

Someone -probably someone who posts on this list - has created an entry 
for Gene Wolfe at the already 100,000-entry, free (as in "freedom" as 
well as in "free beer") web encyclopedia Wikipedia (www.wikipedia.org). 
Right now it's rudimentary, but I think that if some of us on the Urth 
list tried their hand at expanding it, it could turn out a lot bigger 
and better. I've pasted a copy below. I'm going to translate the 
article as it is into Esperanto (the fourth largest of Wikipedia's 
other-language sections) and post it this evening, but then go back and 
try to improve the English entry a bit. It is worth mentioning that 
he's an industrial engineer so that the reason for his Pringles 
invention is clearer, as well as talking about other parts of his Solar 
Cycle. I can't remember who on this list wrote the article for the 
Washington Post, but he should try putting information about the Solar 
Cycle on Wikipedia because he did it quite well in that newspaper.

Christopher Culver

Gene Wolfe

 From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Gene Wolfe is an American science fiction writer and a co-inventor of a 
machine involved in making Pringles. He is noted for his dense, 
allusion-rich prose as well as the strong influence of his Catholic 
faith, which he adopted later in life.

He is a prolific short story writer as well as a novelist, and has been 
nominated for the Hugo Award, Nebula Award, and World Fantasy Award 
multiple times.

His best-known and best-regarded work is the multi-volume work ''The 
Book of the New Sun'', a work set in a distant future Earth detailing 
the life of Severian, an apprentice torturer, as he ultimately becomes 
the messiah. The work is composed of the novels The Shadow of the 
Torturer (1980), The Claw of Conciliator (1981), The Sword of the 
Lictor (1982), and Citadel of the Autarch (1983). A subsequent novel, 
"The Urth of the New Sun'' (1987) wrapped up some loose ends but is 
generally considered a separate work.

Although not a best-selling author, Wolfe is extremely highly regarded 
by critics and fellow writers, and considered by many to be one of the 
best living science fiction authors.

--