Subject: (urth) DOORS: Tina as Tinkerbell

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at siriusfiction.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 00:13:35 +0000

Spectacled Bear quoted me and wrote:
>>That is one of the funnier and puzzling bits (I could've sworn Roy Lackey
>>was complaining about Tina's Daddy knowledge as being a weird
>>bending/blending of the worlds where there should be no blending, but
>>looking over the messages I can't seem to find it).
>
>Roy said: "Given the necessarily limited amount of memory available in
>a mechanical doll, I don't think it would be expended on a person the
>child could never know." - which I would agree with.

True, but I was referring to messages before that one (and that one still
doesn't capture what I thought I remembered). My fault.  (And now to argue:
if the doll is a socialization/indoctrination tool, then it seems to me
that it better have some kind of positive message about daddies in there
among its canned lectures!  Still, having writ that, she really does seem
to be talking about E-daddies rather than O-daddies.)

Mainly right now I just want to say what the subject line says.  I could
push it further, claim that noun "tinker," aside from being related to
copper (iirc), is now more commonly known as a verb "to mess about with
machines; workshop invention" but that begins to obscure the point.

She even has a little green dress.  (Well yes, green does tie back into
copper, but still.)  Sure, she can talk where Tink is virtually mute . . .
and Tink can fly . . . and Tink gets insanely jealous . . . well, the
differences start to pile up.

=mantis=

--