Subject: (urth) Samuel R. Delany

From: Josh Geller <dclxvi at dclxvi.best.vwh.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 16:26:02 +0000

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Michael Andre-Driussi wrote:

> I mentioned the fiction of Samuel R. Delany before, and since then it has
> occured to me that it would be a real scream if Green's hidden/encrypted
> name were decoded as "William Dhalgren." <g>

That reminds me.

Gene Wolfe told me once that Master Ultan was or represented Borges.

I have been wondering for a while now if there might not be
some other writers encoded in there, and specifically if
Baldanders might not be or represent Chip Delany. The notion
just won't go away.

.

.

--

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <ddanehy at siebel.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 20:02:13 +0000

Josh Geller wrote...

> Baldanders might not be or represent Chip Delany. The notion 

H'mmmm. "Baldanders" is _from_ Borges, if I recall correctly 
... and there's nothing about him that particularly makes me 
think of Delany, his fiction or his characters ... Though 
obviously there's more than Borges to Baldanders; the Doctor 
reminds us, not very obliquely, that we should also be 
thinking Frankenstein.

So what about Baldanders makes you think Delany?

--