Subject: (urth) Alien Stones, the charts

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at siriusfiction.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 16:28:11 +0000

Fernando Q. Gouvea wrote:
>On re-reading "Alien Stones", I did find myself wondering about one thing:
>if the aliens are some form of artificial intelligence, why do they have
>star charts that the captain can inspect? Wouldn't any such charts simply
>be kept as software? Is this just a slip of Wolfe's imagination (Homer nods
>again?) or is there something I'm missing?

Hey, that book seminar sounds like a lot of fun!

As for the charts.  IIRC, the aliens are kinda sorta robotic rather than
"pure thought" A.I. entities.

Possible reasons for physical charts:

1) It is good to have hardcopy!

2) They might not be real tools, they might just be art objects recalling
earlier times.

3) They might just be toys for soft lifes to play with when they come
visiting, like the amusements in the waiting/screening room at a doctor's
office (magazines, toys).

=mantis=

--