Subject: Re: (urth) Werwolf

From: Jason Ingram <j_ingram at mac.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 00:24:09 +0000

The spelling calls attention to at least one missing "e"; this may be 
sufficient motive even if Wolfe had more in mind.

Sepia

> From: "Fernando Q. Gouvea" <fqgouvea at colby.edu>
>
>> - Does anyone know why Wolfe chose the spelling "Werwolf"?

--

---

From: James Jordan <jbjordan4 at cox.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 14:20:04 +0000

>sufficient motive even if Wolfe had more in mind.

Ah, that may be on the mark. We might have read "Were-Wolfe," which would 
be in character for all of Wolfe's lupine stories, which are "about" him 
one way or another. So dropping both "e"s is a hint, of some sort. Maybe to 
call attention to it, as you say, so that we get the idea the the Hero is a 
version of Wolfe himself.

Nutria

--