Subject: Re: (urth) The Book of Typhon part one, revised: Severian's

From: Che Monro <flirt at technologist.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 09:47:14 +0000

At 08:51 PM 6/03/03 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi everyone, Don here again (not Lisa though I suppose that's appropriate 
>to the gender bending discussions of late :))  Below is what I've been 
>contemplating in my abscence.  Enjoy!

Great One, may I offer you my praise on your elegant and beautiful theory. 
It's such a joy to be present at the birth of such a wonderful child, even 
when the birth is a difficult one.

Commenting from the perspective of an Ox or an Ass, I too spotted the 
Kipling connection (the Red Flower in particular was a dead give away).

"They will hold a jungle Council at the Rock, and then--and then--I have 
it!" said Bagheera, leaping up. "Go thou down quickly to the men's huts in 
the valley, and take some of the Red Flower which they grow there, so that 
when the time comes thou mayest have even a stronger friend than I or Baloo 
or those of the Pack that love thee. Get the Red Flower."

Great One, did you know that Mowgli means "Frog" in um, Hindi, I guess. 
Nobody could write mystical tales like Kipling, although I must go and read 
Graves' _The White Goddess_ because it sounds interesting.

My humble praises and blessings on your child! I too always thought there 
was something vaguely oedipal about Severian. He comes from himself and 
goes to himself. No man is an island (or a whorl) but he seems to come 
close. I thought that Dorcas was his mother becuase it seemed to make sense 
at the time. That would make him his own father.. Is this biologically 
possible, Great One? Wouldn't both halves of his DNA chromasomes have to be 
identical? Is that allowed?

I've always loved Dorcas the most and I think she would make a great 
mother, but I will transfer a little of my adoration to you for politeness 
sake. You don't mind if I worship you a little in my simple minded way?

No? Thank you, Great One. Behind our efforts, let there be found our efforts.

Che

Ché Franz Joseph Monro -- http://www.chemonro.com
che at chemonro.com    --     flirt at technologist.com

--

---

From: Che Monro <flirt at technologist.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 10:01:43 +0000

Che

--