Subject: (urth) Quetzal the enigma

From: Lisa Schaffer-Doggett <harlekin at earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 23:47:35 +0000

I have two things to say here and the are more musings out loud than 
anything.

The first is this:  If Green is Urth (or Ushas) what does that say 
about Quetzal's dying intentions?

The second is a quote from Graves:

	"The most familiar icon of Agean religion is therefore a Moon-woman, a 
Star-son, and a wise spotted Serpent grouped under a fruit-tree - 
Artemis, Hercules and Erechtheus.  Star-son and Serpent are at war; one 
succeeds the other in the Moon-woman's favour, as summer succeeds 
winter, and winter succeeds summer; as death succeeds birth and birth 
succeeds death."
	"There are as yet no fathers, for the Serpent is no more the father of 
the Star-son than the Star-son is of the Serpent.  They are twins, and 
here we are returned to the single poetic Theme."  The White Goddess p. 
388

I can't help but think of the way that Krait in SS is essentially 
Sinew.  Is Quetzal also Silk?  Or even Typhon? ('"You thought me dead 
when I was only dry"' Sword p.137)  He certainly knows a lot of the 
history of the Whorl and its making and a lot about Typhon.

Don

--

---

From: Jeff Veyera <teflon93 at cox.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 04:14:58 +0000

Don wrote:

Teflon replies:

I think Quetzal's knowledge is a result of spending decades in close
proximity to the Ayuntamiento, who clearly had this knowledge.

I don't see any similarity between Quetzal and Silk---Wolfe makes Quetzal
quite distinct from anyone else, whereas Krait is a very idealized Sinew.  I
think Wolfe's making another point here regarding identity---Krait is Sinew
as Horn wishes him to be; Sinew is Sinew, period.  It's no wonder Horn and
Sinew clash constantly, and no wonder Horn feels closer to Krait.  It is
interesting that Horn can overlook Krait's inhumanity and misdeeds, at least
to an extent, but cannot forgive Sinew.

Then along comes Silk with his "love everybody" stuff; Horn's children
cannot believe this elderly flower child's wandering about calling himself
Horn.

That's my read, anyway.

Teflon93

--