Subject: (urth) Typhon as Silk?

From: Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 08:32:53 +0000

Don wrote:
>I would add in reply to Roy that Typhon being
>the baddest man in the galaxy actually furthers my thematic argument of
>his redemption.  Silk is arguably one of the best men in the galaxy.
>If they are the same person then, in addition to it being highly ironic
>(almost reason enough on its own), it is also the ultimate expression
>of the power and the Grace (in the theological sense) of the Outsider.
>Compare that to the ham fisted approach of the hiero's in dealing with
>the situation.

Unless you are willing to posit the Hierogrammates their own third-party
agenda, were they not angelic agents of the Increate?

As for your "thematic argument" for the "redemption" of Typhon, even as an
unbeliever I have a hard time swallowing that. Let's see: Typhon bankrupted
Urth's remaining natural resources (mostly to massage his own ego); by some
accounts he caused the wounding of the sun (leading to the passage of the
New Sun and the deaths of millions); he ordered the kidnapping of tens of
thousands of people, brainwashed them and doomed generations of their
descendents to being his worshipful playthings on the _Whorl_; he
slaughtered people wholesale ("I watched him kill a thousand once. Men,
mostly." -- Kypris, LS1:12). An omnipotent Increate/Outsider
permitted/ordained all that suffering, balanced the cosmic scales on the
backs of the innocent, just to save the soul of one evil miscreant who never
contributed a dime's worth to his own salvation or was made to suffer in any
way for the evil he had done? Is this the same Increate who kept Moses from
the Promised Land for the moral equivalent of a parking ticket?

Then, on top of all that, Silk's soul is hijacked to sweeten the kitty.
Instead of being a person unique in the Increate's Creation, Silk is
subordinated to Typhon. Typhon gets a second chance, through no merit of his
own. If Typhon gets to Heaven riding Silk's coattails, where is the justice?
If Silk is a clone of Typhon, do clones have souls of their own? If so, how
can Typhon be redeemed by another's goodness?

-Roy

--

---

From: Andy Robertson <andywrobertson at clara.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 08:49:27 +0000

I am sorry, but this is reason, and divine charity knows nothing of reason.

As for Typhon doing all this - bankrupting the Earth, killing thousands,
wounding the Sun - those called to be God's scourge have traditionally acted
in this fashion.

And so have some of God's principal servants (read the Old Testament).

Often, the servant weilds a scourge.

The end of Typhon's evil is a significant good, at least within the
gene-centered  / volk-centered  /  reproductive-success-centered Old
Testament scale of values  - a tremendous expansion of the human territory
and population - a new Promised Land.

It seems very much in the character of the Increate, to me, that Typhon
should be redeemed.

    hartshorn

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roy C. Lackey" <rclackey at stic.net>
To: "urth" <urth at urth.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2003 8:32 AM
Subject: (urth) Typhon as Silk?

> thousands of people, brainwashed them

--

---

From: Lisa Schaffer-Doggett <harlekin at earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 00:32:11 +0000

> agenda, were they not angelic agents of the Increate?

Though we tend to disagree on most things involving this series Roy, I 
value your point of view and I'm constantly amazed that you anticipate 
the stream of my arguments.  This is exactly what I posit.  I think the 
Hiero's are cloaking themselves in the name of the Increate and that 
their guesses as to His (I use that guardedly) will are only slightly 
more insightful than our own.  After all, they are ultimately our 
creations.

> the Promised Land for the moral equivalent of a parking ticket?
Hartshorn's reply is as good as anything I might have said.   I would 
only add that this mercy is the essence of Christian Grace.  It is by 
its nature undeserved.

Don

--