Subject: (urth) re: Russian Ark

From: Russell Wodell <hse at telus.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 18:38:07 +0000

This will seem to many to be off-topic; but I can't resist writing about
this film by Aleksandr Sokurov. As you may know, it consists of one
unbroken 96-minute take travelling the entire length of the Hermitage in
St. Petersburg, a stunning technical achievement. What I hadn't
anticipated is that the first two-thirds of the film are very much like
being inside a Wolfe novel (the last third is like being inside a
Tolstoy novel). 
 
Two protagonists, one visible and one invisible (the latter being the
narrator, using Sokurov's voice) move from gallery to gallery, all
inhabited by Russians from past and present; we slowly figure out they
are both dead. Only certain of the other characters can see them unless
the visible ghost touches them, after which they can briefly interact
physically (dancing together, discussing the art on display). It is
never made explicit whether the others characters are also ghosts or
whether the protagonists are travelling through time, or both; and the
ending is stranger than anything in Solaris. 
 
I can only suggest the haunting quality of the film by saying it is like
Peace combined with a Russian Soldier in the Mist. I suspect it is most
unlikely that Wolfe and Sokurov know anything of each other's work. but
the parallels are very pleasantly surprising. I wonder if anyone could
ask Wolfe if he has seen the film, or encourage him to do so.
 
There is one lovely lupine line of dialogue: "Dead authors weep when
their books are reprinted."

--

---

From: Timothy Reilly <treilly at ozemail.com.au>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 06:01:17 +0000

I can second Russell Wodel's recent recommendation for Russian Ark.  It's a stunning film that would appeal to anyone who likes Wolfe.

Tim

--