Subject: (urth) Nabokov: Pale Fire + Wolfelike Authors

From: Alex David Groce <alex_groce at forlesen.modck.cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 21:20:23 +0000

> Are there any other Nabokov books you would recommend for Wolfe fans
> (or just for me)?

I'll second the recommendations for _Lolita_, which is a fine book.
My personal favorite Nabokov novel, however, is _Pnin_.  It is not the
tour de force that _Pale Fire_ is, but has its own trickiness.

I've probably suggested it on the list before, but I think most Wolfe
fans would also greatly enjoy Robert Irwin's _The Arabian Nightmare_.

--
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32
--
Alex David Groce (agroce+ at cs.cmu.edu)
Ph.D. Student, Carnegie Mellon University - Computer Science Department
8112 Wean Hall (412)-268-3066
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~agroce

--

---

From: Richard Horton <rrhorton at prodigy.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 00:51:19 +0000

>fans would also greatly enjoy Robert Irwin's _The Arabian Nightmare_.

My favorite Nabokov books are _Pnin_ and _Pale Fire_, order depending
on mood.

_Ada_ is another outstanding book, though, and SF (if of a decidedly
odd nature).  (His early Russian novel _King, Queen, Knave_ is also
SF.)  _Invitation to the Beheading_, _Bend Sinister_, _The Real Life
of Sebastian Knight_, and _The Defense_ are also all excellent.  Of
his Russian novels (which include _The Defense_ and _Invitation to the
Beheading_) _The Gift_ seems most highly regarded, but I haven't read
it yet.

 =20
--=20
Rich Horton | Stable Email: mailto://richard.horton at sff.net
Home Page: http://www.sff.net/people/richard.horton
Also visit SF Site (http://www.sfsite.com) and Tangent Online =
(http://www.tangentonline.com)

--