Subject: (urth) daisy chain of authors

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at siriusfiction.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 16:10:01 +0000

Allan Lloyd wrote:
>    I'm finding the discussion of Wolfe-like authors  fascinating, mainly
>because most of the writers mentioned seem to me to be so  vastly
>different from Wolfe. The whole thing reminds me of a beginners  guide to
>science fiction that was published some years ago. It was arranged on  the
>basis of "if you like ... then you will also like ..." and as an example,
>the follow-up to Wolfe would have been something like " you will also like
>Poul  Anderson, Terry Pratchett and Samuel Delany because they all write
>fantasy."
>

In pursuit of accuracy: A READER'S GUIDE TO SCIENCE FICTION by Baird
Searles, Martin Last, Beth Meacham, and Michael Franklin; published in 1979.

With regard to the material found under GENE WOLFE, at the end of the 3/4
page entry, which describes Wolfe's work to that date (pre-New Sun), comes
the daisy-chain tag: "Those who admire Wolfe's work might try that of Ian
Watson or Jack Vance."

Is this the "beginner's guide" in question?  On the one hand it isn't quite
as fatuous as Allan Lloyd seems to recall (100% worthless), but to be fair,
judging by my own tastes this one daisy-chain link is 50% worthless, so it
is possible that we agree more than we disagree.

=mantis=

--