Subject: (urth) Late as usual

From: Nigel Price <nigel.aprice at virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 11:56:12 +0000

>>Leicke and life by Fairport convention (this is a cd; music for hippies
apparently)

Splutter! What!

Nigel, a fat, bearded and ageing hippy who has been meaning to respond to
all sorts of issues raised on the Urth list recently but still hasn't got
round to it, rushes to the keyboard to deny this viscious slander, only to
find that the inestimable hartshorn has got their first (as usual)...

>>No, that was me bought that.   Liege and Leaf
>>
>>FAIRPORT CONVENTION are a bunch of '70s Electric
>>Folkies.  Some overlap with The Strawbs, but
>>"music for hippies" doesn't cut it.

Fairport started in 1967 and released their first album in 1968. The utterly
wonderful "Liege and Lief" - the prototype British folk rock album - came
out in 1969, but they're still going strong to this day. (I was recently
given their 35th anniversary 4-CD boxed set of live tracks and rarities for
my birthday!) Music is a mixture of rock and traditional folk music. Some
members have also been members of Jethro Tull. Stunning musicianship, and
Cropredy, the biggest and best annual folk-rock festival in Europe.

Tripping on his beard as he goes, Nigel stomps back out to the garden, where
he is teaching his younger daughter to play "Johny B. Goode" on the penny
whistle, while he accompanies her on the mandolin.

Music for hippies, indeed!

Nigel (who still has not found satisfactory photographs either of his black
cat or of himself wearing a tie - sorry, Blattid)

--