Subject: Very Short Introductions (was: Re: (urth) Generic Considerations)

From: Gareth Jelley <gjelley at btopenworld.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 22:06:19 +0000

> Also good are the "...for Beginners" series from Writers and Artists.
> Their "Kierkegaard for Beginners" that gave me entree to a thinker
> whose prose I had previously found opaque and murky. They're somewhere
> between books and info-comics: heavily (and humorously) illustrated,
> and run about the same length as the OUP books Gareth mentions --
> heck, since I've never seen those, they may for all I know be British
> editions of the same series.

The OUP ones aren't illustrated like the 'Beginners', but they fill a
similar gap. The other thing I like about them is their size - they slip
nicely into a pocket, and look well-designed to boot...

A US link with loads of the titles in the series:

http://www.oup-usa.org/catalogs/general/series/Very_Short_Introductions.html

and a UK one:

No. No UK one, as the UK server is a bit sh*te

Anon,

G.

--

---

From: Ed Cooke <edbucks at cantab.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 10:32:54 +0000

The US "...for Beginners" series is not the same as the UK comic-style
publications; the latter changed their name to "Introducing..." to make this
clearer. More info on the latter at

www.iconbooks.co.uk

--