Subject: (urth) Zoroastrianism

From: Josh Geller <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 18:36:51 +0000

On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 10:11, James Jordan wrote:

>          Whatever Z. may be now, or may have been in the 1st century, the 
> question is what it was in Latro's day. Given the friendliness of the 
> Persian rulers to the Jews, it seems that ur-Zoroastrians may have thought 
> they were worshipping the same God under different names. 

Those were not ur-Zoroastrians, in Cyrus the Great's time. Zoroaster 
preached about a thousand years before this.

>                                                         Reading the works 
> of Zarathustra, one wonders if he had not been influenced by diaspora Jews.

That would have been quite a trick.
 
The influence is all the other way, as near as I can tell. 

Cyrus the Great conquered Iraq, and sent the Jews home. These Jews that
he sent home were sent there to run Palestine for him. They got up a 
committee to rewrite their scriptures, coincidentally making them more
Zoroastrianlike in the process.

Josh

--

---

From: gordon meuse <gordanus at hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 22:50:18 +0000

>Whatever Z. may be now, or may have been in the 1st century, the question 
>is what it was in Latro's day. Given the friendliness of the Persian rulers 
>to the Jews, it seems that ur-Zoroastrians may have thought they were 
>worshipping the same God under different names.

the truth is that the jews of the time wanted to make it seem that Cyrus was 
worshipping the same god as them, but this just wasn't the case.

_________________________________________________________________
Help STOP SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE*  
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

--

---

From: Josh Geller <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 23:33:07 +0000

> worshipping the same god as them, but this just wasn't the case.

It's a good thing, when we are lost in confusion, that someone should
step right up and tell us the Truth. No one could possibly deny this.

Josh

--