Subject: (urth) A long read

From: Nigel Price <nigel.aprice at virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 21:38:28 +0000

Tyreal (Welcome!) asked:

>>I was wandering if someone could put
>>all of the Sun Series books in order
>>in which they were meant to be read.

OK! There are (currently!) four main works in the Urth/Sun cycle, and
together they take up 12 volumes.

These "four main works" are _The Book of the New Sun_ (4 vols), _Urth of the
New Sun_ (1 vol), _The Book of the Long Sun_ (4 vols) and _The Book of the
Short Sun_ (3 vols). That's...

The Book of the New Sun, comprising
1	The Shadow of the Torturer
2	The Claw of the Conciliator
3	The Sword of the Lictor
4	The Citadel of the Autarch

5	Urth of the New Sun

The Book of the Long Sun, comprising
6	Nightside the Long Sun
7	Lake of the Long Sun
8	Calde of the Long Sun
9	Exodus from the Long Sun

The Book of the Short Sun, comprising
10	On Blue's Waters
11	In Green's Jungles
12	Return to the Whorl

That's the order in which they were writen and, for my money, by far the
best order in which to read them too.

If you're *really* hooked, there are also several short stories set in the
same universe. Off the top of my head, there's a couple in the collection
_Endangered Species_ ("The Map" and "The Cat"), one in "The Best of Crank"
(the utterly wonderful "Empires of Foliage and Flower"...or is it "...Flower
and Foliage"?), one called "The Night Chough" that's collected somewhere or
other... plus one or two others... um..."The Old Woman whose Rolling Pin is
the Sun" or something... Plus the amusing "These are the Jokes" in _Castle
of the Otter_.

Anyway, there's plenty of reading there to keep you busy!

Nigel

--