Subject: (urth) Seven Lions' Paste

From: maa32 <maa32 at dana.ucc.nau.edu>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 05:47:50 +0000

Here is a question from Crush about Seven Lions' Paste- perhaps you could help 
us out - I have only the vaguest conception that it reminds me of the scene in 
the movie Gladiator in which small household gods and religious artifacts are 
kept by a black man in a small bag.

Crush asks:
>In chapter one of 'Soldier of the Mist', Latro conversing with Seven Lions:

"I pointed to my arm and my hair and asked the black man if he had seen
another such as I. He nodded and opened two little bags he carries; there is
white paste in one and vermilion in the other."

What is this paste in Seven Lion's bags?

If you don't know, could you repost this question to the Urth list?

Perhaps some allusion to the different white and red clays that went into the 
creation of white and black skin in different proportions mythologically?  I 
don't know.
Marc

--

---

From: Josh Geller <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 06:15:55 +0000

These are his war-paint. He puts them on before he goes into battle.

Herodotos mentions this, where he is listing the different 
ethnic groups that were represented in the Great King's army.

J.

___

--

---

From: James Wynn <the.wynns at usa.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 16:24:01 +0000

Okay. Fixed my problem.

Crush asked:

Josh Geller answered:
These are his war-paint. He puts them on before he goes into battle.
Herodotos mentions this, where he is listing the different ethnic groups
that were represented in the Great King's army.

Crush concedes:
I was afraid of that. It seemed to me that the paste should have something
to do with whether Seven Lions had seen anyone one who looked like Latro.
But Josh is probably right. It is only a Wolfean juxtaposition.

--- Crush

--