From: Andrew Bollen <abollen at internode.on.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:58:45 +0000

> IF our Latro *were* a relative of the Lucius TarquiNius (note the slight
> name difference) that "ruled for twenty-five years" [534-510 B.C] until
the
> founding of the Republic as Livy says at the end of Book 1, then it
answers
> the question as to why Latro was not home fighting for Rome during its
> knock-down-drag-out war with its neighbors. It could even explain why a
> hundred Latin soldiers were with him -- the Tarquinians' closest
supporters
> would probably have been exiled as well. It explains why Latro grew up so
> close to the Greek colonies rather than Keeping To His Own in Latium.

See my earlier post - apparently Tarquitius was indeed a variation on
Tarquinius, and the whole family did go into exile for a while, ending up at
Caere (wherever that is - close to the Greek colonies?).

>
> Surely since Latro WRITES, he is not of mere common birth.

Very good point!

--