Subject: (urth) World-building in short stories

From: Nicholas Gevers <vermoulian at yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 07:43:56 +0000

Interesting comments regarding "Semley's Necklace". It
strikes that me that one quite famous novelette--Jack
Vance's "The New Prime"--builds not one world but six,
each in a dense vignette. That story dates from the
Fifties. Vance had the cheek to make contemporary
Earth one of the six, a place no less exotic and
bizarre than the rest.

--Nick Gevers.

________________________________________________________________________
Want to chat instantly with your online friends?  Get the FREE Yahoo!
Messenger http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/

--

---

From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis at siriusfiction.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 15:52:50 +0000

Nick Gevers wrote:

>It

Yes, I did think of "The New Prime," which is an interesting story for a
number of reasons.  But as you say, the worlds are very sketchy -- this is
not detrimental to the story at all . . . in a way, this is a Vancean
approach to Le Guin's technique in "Semley's Necklace" in that Vance
presents several all at once, but he is making them from Vance-scratch
rather than using sf and fairy tale stock.  (Granted that "Vance-scratch"
involves a patented blend of sf and fairy tale stock!)

I do like the story.  It has some unusual twists, even for Vance.  It would
seem to follow what I said about "Moon Moth": every social detail/world has
a direct crucial bearing on the story and the conclusion; it is longer than
a short story.

=mantis=

Sirius Fiction
booklets on Gene Wolfe, John Crowley
http://www.siriusfiction.com/

eBay Auctions
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=mr.sirius

--