Subject: (urth) Severian and the skull

From: Christopher Culver <christopher_culver at yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 11:34:57 +0000

Marc Aramini wrote:
> The recent discussion has prompted me to look once again at the end of Urth of the New Sun.  I think we can all agree that the skull that Severian finds at the bottom of the lake when he goes diving
You can count me out. I've never believed the skull was of a former Severian. I think that it is just an object which allows Severian to meditate on how many people he has killed to save Urth. From th
Christopher Culver

--

---

From: Andrew Bollen <abollen at internode.on.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 12:57:24 +0000

Christopher says:

> You can count me out. I've never believed the skull was of a former
Severian. I think that it is just an object which allows
> Severian to meditate on how many people he has killed to save Urth.

Me too!

I don't think relics of prototype Sev's or their worlds exist in our Sev's
world. At least, I don't see much reason to suppose they do.
Sev encountering his own corpse in UOTNS doesn't count, IMO: that was a
different kind of resurrection.

--