Subject: (urth) Re: The library and scribes

From: Lisa Schaffer-Doggett <harlekin at earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 01:48:33 +0000

It was written:

  How extensive is the Library again?

My impression is that it contains every book written.  It's meant to be 
Borges' infinite library.  Probably Father Inire has something to do 
with it's construction.

>>
>> Doesn't Severian remark to the effect that 'surely the rabble of the
>> city are not permitted here'? I don't recall him receiving an answer,
>> do you?
>>
>> In a society that does not have mechanical printing, where would be
>> the most likely place to find a scriptorium?
>
> Plausible.
>
> But no clue that the Commonwealth _is_ a society without mechanical
> printing.  Ultan and Cyby are Curators not Scrivenors.
>

My  other impression is that the Commonwealth has not seen any new 
books in a long time.  It is a society in utter stagnation.

Don

--