Subject: (urth) Wolfe at Readercon

From: Nicholas Gevers <vermoulian at yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 06:33:07 +0000

As Marc says, GW will be at Readercon--he's taking
part in a panel discussion there concerning
Catholicism and SF/Fantasy.

--Nick Gevers.

________________________________________________________________________
Want to chat instantly with your online friends?  Get the FREE Yahoo!
Messenger http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/

--

---

From: Adam Stephanides <adamsteph at earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 18:39:06 +0000

In the archives to HogBlog (http://www.koschei.net/blog/ July 15, 2003), I
came across the following description of Wolfe's talk on Catholicism and SF
at Readercon: "Gene Wolfe gave a very spirited account of the influence of
redemption on his work; no-one, not even a villain, is beyond redemption.
No-one, he says, goes around in life thinking 'I'm a bad person.' He then
launched into an improvised impersonation of an actual bad person, in the
course of which I began seriously to wonder if he was going to punch through
the floor with his cane."  Unfortunately, that's all the detail it gives.

--Adam

--

---

From: Gregg <gwbest328 at rcn.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 23:26:32 +0000

I was there for that panel, and I think Mr. Wolfe could have had a third
career as a preacher. During his improv, his voice rose and rose and
rose until everyone in the hotel must have been able to hear his
booming, raging performance of the rationalizations and denials of a bad
man. Readercon tapes all of their panels, and this was one for the
greatest hits album.

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Stephanides [mailto:adamsteph at earthlink.net] 
Sent: Friday, August 08, 2003 2:39 PM
To: urth at urth.net
Subject: (urth) Wolfe at Readercon

In the archives to HogBlog (http://www.koschei.net/blog/ July 15, 2003),
I
came across the following description of Wolfe's talk on Catholicism and
SF
at Readercon: "Gene Wolfe gave a very spirited account of the influence
of
redemption on his work; no-one, not even a villain, is beyond
redemption.
No-one, he says, goes around in life thinking 'I'm a bad person.' He
then
launched into an improvised impersonation of an actual bad person, in
the
course of which I began seriously to wonder if he was going to punch
through
the floor with his cane."  Unfortunately, that's all the detail it
gives.

--Adam

-- 

--