From: James Wynn <crushtv at hotpop.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 14:38:42 +0000

I don't have anything to workshopped right now but I would certainly pay a
couple hundred just to hang out with Gene Wolfe and the rest of you guys.

Unfortunately, my experience with organizing these things (not workshops but
events and stuff) is that the cost of  just a *location* to hold an event
like this for just a *weekend* (with food not necessarily) included could
not be had for less than $80-$120 per person -- if you can guarantee 50 or
more people. Also, a workshop is *a lot* of work for the teacher -- very
reading intensive; harder than a normal class I would think. I'd be
embarrassed to ask any writer of marketable merit to do it for just 2 or 3
thousand - even if it were just a dozen or so writers he would be working
with.

Thus the tuition for the Odyssey workshop was $1400! Probably a very
reasonable rate. I don't intend to throw cold-water on a wonderful plan at
its inception. I just wouldn't like to see a good idea squelched by
unreasonable expectations.

On the otherhand, a *readers* workshop where the participants were
responsible for reviewing and discussing each other's works; with, say, a
series of "book club" type meetings to discuss various Wolfe works; with
Wolfe in attendance. This is beginning to sound more like a Gene Wolfe
Convention. I kinda like that idea too.
:-)

-- Crush

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Josh Geller" <brunians at brunians.org>
To: <urth at urth.net>
Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2003 9:08 AM
Subject: Re: (urth) Wolfe Walks - my rant

> On Sat, 2003-07-26 at 06:26, Andrew Bollen wrote:
>
> >> As I say, I am wondering how much I would pay for a week's writing
class
> >> with Gene Wolfe. The answer is at least a couple of hundred dollars,
>
> >> I wonder further. I wonder how much how many people on this mailing
list
> >> would be willing to pay for a week's writing class with Gene Wolfe. How
> >> many people here would be willing to pay two hundred dollars for a
> >> week's writing class with Gene Wolfe? If the answer is ten or twelve,
> >> don't you think that $2000 or $2400 could pay the Wolfe's travel, food
> >> and hotel expenses and perhaps even afford them a small fee? All work
> >> would have to be done on a volunteer basis, of course. Do people who
> >> know the Wolfes think they might be interested?
>
> >> I would be willing to devote time and work to this, if there are other
> >> people who are willing to devote time and work to this.
>
> >> What does everyone think?
>
> > Yep, I'd be in it. Problem is, I'm in Australia. Maybe some kind of
on-line
> > thing as well? Wouldn't have to be very interactive or hi-tech to be
useful.
>
> Very easy to arrange.
>
> > I'd also be willing to put some time into it.
>
> Sounds good. Who else?
>
>
>
> J.
>
> ___
>
>
>
>
> -- 

--