Subject: (urth) Cybele, with bluebonnets

From: Ron Crown <crownrw at slu.edu>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 14:53:05 +0000

Has anyone read this book by Charles Harness (published by NESFA Press)? 
  I mention it because it's reminiscent of There Are Doors--written in a 
kind of magic realism with classical allusions, the same themes of lost 
love, death, and transcendence, etc., etc.  Which may explain why Gene 
Wolfe was asked to provide a blurb which he did in highly laudatory 
fashion ("There are perhaps a thousand wonderful books.  Most of us are 
fortunate if we so much as hear the titles of them in the course of a 
lifetime.  Very few of us ever touch the covers of more than half a 
dozen.  This is one of them.")  Exaggerated but it's still a delightful 
little read.  It's also a lot more overtly (ostensibly) autobiographical.

I especially enjoyed the hilarious description of the Battle of San 
Jacinto--the first person narrator is a Texan (as are both Harness and 
Wolfe, for that matter).

Ron Crown
Saint Louis University

--

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <katbarx at hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 15:51:25 +0000

H'mmm. I'll have to look for this. Harness's THE ROSE is, imio, one of the
absolutely indispensible books of the stfnal heritage.

_________________________________________________________________
The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE*  
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

--