Subject: Re: (urth) DD's and Hamlet's Mill

From: James Wynn <crushtv at hotpop.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2003 17:37:35 +0000

Don,
My false modesty must be working over time for you have surely turned my
head. :-D

> >Josh said:
> > I've found that most people do better if they work up to 'Hamlet's
Mill'.

Well, one would have to wade through a library to read everything necessary
to take on "Hamlet's Mill" with confidence. It was daunting due to my
deficiencies in Native American, Mesoamerican, Polynesian, and Indian
mythology. I knew next to nothing about aetiologica. But I *had* read Gene
Wolfe, which might be of no use if you don't read him the way I do. So while
I much of what was referred there just drifted by incomprehensibly, so
much -- so much -- left me saying "oooooh" and "oh. my. gosh."

Still, Josh is right in that it *is* a hard book. Harder and longer than
"The White Goddess", but every bit as useful in understanding what Wolfe is
frequently driving at in his major novels.

--- Crush

--