Subject: (urth) sev as conciliator - typhon scene

From: maa32 <maa32 at dana.ucc.nau.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 06:43:13 +0000

One more thing, since you asked about the Typhon scene.  There has been a lot 
of disagreement over that scene.  I think that Typhon does in fact recognize 
Severian, others believe that he doesn't.  My primary reason is that somewhere 
in that scene Typhon implies that if Severian bows to him, the Conciliator 
will also bow to him.  I think there is enough parallelism in that scene to 
justify "recognition" beyond Typhon's desire for the Claw, but no consensus 
could be reached on that point.  
There should be plenty in the archives on it from a few months ago that 
presents both sides, so you can re-read the scene and come to your own 
decision on it.  
Marc

--

---

From: Josh Geller <brunians at brunians.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 15:01:10 +0000

There is no doubt that Typhon recognizes Severian. 

The people who disagree with this are wrong.

I am sorry, sometimes things are best said very bluntly.

.

___

--