Subject: (urth) silk's clean plate

From: maa32 <maa32 at dana.ucc.nau.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 16:15:54 +0000

Roy brings up Silk's clean plate.  I suppose I should have been more precise - 
the fact that Silk eats very little and gets sick in winter seems important 
somehow.  And he does say something about watching out for people who appear 
to eat only a little bit, I think.  It's hard to find quotes in the Short Sun 
books!  The unconscious nature of his consumption seems strange, as if he 
didn't remember actually eatting the food.  Alas, no dogs or huses under the 
table to feed it to, I guess.  Does he get sick after that scene?   I need to 
look at it again.  The question is, can an inhumu even attempt to digest food?
 I suppose not; Quetzal just likes to sniff his tea.

Yes, the abnegation of Urthly pleasures through abstemious eating and the love 
he fails to extend to Rose certainly explains the tomatoes.   
Marc Aramini

--

---

From: James Wynn <crushtv at hotpop.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 22:11:09 +0000

Marc,

This is my third attempt at sending this email. Each time I've said, "oh
what's the point" but every time I see your post sitting in my Inbox I start
again. Since you have recently posted that you are re-reading LS, I presumed
with typical narcissism that you are simultaneously considering the validity
of my arguments for Hyacinth being Molybdenum, Silk's Mother, and Tussah. So
I'll add one more angle that I didn't mention before.

I think the tomatoes are made such a big deal of in LS because the love Silk
that does not extend to Rose is very important thematically. Marble/Rose
told Silk that the reason Rose hated him was because she could see how he
was repulsed by her (chem) prostheses. So it is Silk's ironic damnation to
fall in love with Hyacinth, a chem with biological prostheses -- actually
the same chem (Molybdenum) in both cases. Note that Hy can subtly change her
face and does so to make herself look more like Poppy -- so perhaps she
still has those chem facial implements beneath the skin of her face.

It all fits sooo nicely. Except for Hyacinth's father with whom I have no
idea what to do. :T

Anyway, I'd like to know if you come up with anything.

James (Crush) Wynn

--

---

From: James Wynn <crushtv at hotpop.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 22:31:08 +0000

Oops that was supposed to go to Marc only.

I'm not prepared to defend most of this -- that is, not far beyond what I've
done so far -- so please don't get too exhuberant in shooting it down.

Crush

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "James Wynn" <crushtv at hotpop.com>
To: <urth at urth.net>
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2003 5:11 PM
Subject: Re: (urth) silk's clean plate

--

---

From: Ashley Crill <ashley.crill at student.oc.edu>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 03:44:43 +0000

I might point out that Jonas seems to be a Chem with biological prosthetics...

	-----Original Message----- 
	From: James Wynn [mailto:crushtv at hotpop.com] 
	Sent: Fri 8/22/2003 5:31 PM 
	To: urth at urth.net 
	Cc: 
	Subject: Re: (urth) silk's clean plate

	
	Crush
	
	----- Original Message -----
	From: "James Wynn" <crushtv at hotpop.com>
	To: <urth at urth.net>
	Sent: Friday, August 22, 2003 5:11 PM
	Subject: Re: (urth) silk's clean plate

	> URTH: discussion of the works of Gene Wolfe - http://www.urth.net/
	> To unsubscribe: send "unsubscribe" to urth-request at urth.net

	--
	URTH: discussion of the works of Gene Wolfe - http://www.urth.net/
	To unsubscribe: send "unsubscribe" to urth-request at urth.net