Subject: (urth) some Latro thoughts

From: Lisa Schaffer-Doggett <harlekin at earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 05:09:08 +0000

Howdy
Earlier last month or the month before a few people were speculating 
that Latro might be a Tarquin.  If that's the case wouldn't that make 
him a descendant of Aeneas?  A lot is made of the Trojan War in these 
books.  There is that story of Achilles' ghost's revenge.  It also 
occurs to me that during the wrestling match we have the ghost of 
Odysseus, the ghost of Achilles, and perhaps the representative of 
Aeneas in Latro.  Maybe I'm just grasping but I can't help trying to 
make connections.  What could his lineage mean to the story and to his 
troubles?

Don

--

---

From: Andrew Bollen <abollen at internode.on.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 05:29:23 +0000

> make connections.  What could his lineage mean to the story and to his

Were the Tarquins descended from Aeneas? I thought they were supposed to be
descendants of <some guy from Corinth>. But if they were, it would make
Latro's tryst with Aphrodite a little more outre, since she was Aeneas'
mother.

On a tangent, there is an enigmatic claim by the Mother-as-Sphinx somewhere
towards the end: I am your mother, and your mother's mother. How does that
fit mythologically? (Biologically, we've got problems.)  If Latro is an
avatar of Aeneas, then she seems to be claiming to be both Aphrodite and the
Ocean. If Latro is an avatar of Areas, then it's Hera and Rhea. Neither
possibility does very much for me, but I guess it means *something*.

--