Subject: (urth) four arms

From: Lisa Schaffer-Doggett <harlekin at earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 01:38:46 +0000

pharaohs/pharaohs-4.html+ka-arms&hl=en&ie=UTF-8 :

"Now, the Ka is a very interesting personage. He is designated in the  
Egyptian writing by a special hieroglyph representing a pair of hands  
and arms upraised as if in adoration.

Such is the pictorial symbol of which the phonetic reading is "Ka."  
This name, or rather the conception represented by this name, has been  
variously interpreted by European Egyptologists. Dr. Brugsch, in his  
Hieroglyphic Dictionary, explains it as "the person, the individuality,  
the being." Professor Maspero, recognizing its incorporeal character,  
calls it "the double." Mr. Le Page Renouf (32) likens it to the  
"eidolon" of the Greeks, the "genius" of the Romans; and Dr. Wiedemann  
has lately written an interesting paper to show that it was not the  
person, but what he calls "the personality" or "individuality" of the  
deceased–meaning thereby that which distinguished him in life from  
other men; in other words, the mental impression which was evoked when  
his name was mentioned."

Don writing now:  In statuary the ka arms are above the head of the  
person represented by the statue, in effect giving it four arms.  It is  
these extra arms that distinguish the ka from the actual person.  Could  
this have any tie to the Vanished People?

--