Subject: (urth) Yesod, Briah

From: Alice Turner <al at smtp.emailserv.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 14:27:07 +0000

[Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]

Thanks, John Bishop, for that useful and interesting URL. Now I have a
question (mantis, please don't have a cow: I know you've already addressed
this, but I wasn't paying enough attention). Briah is Heaven, and Tzadkiel
is the Archangel of Justice, and also the angel who seems to be assigned to
Yesod (although the chart says it ought to be Gabriel). Yesod is the ninth
of ten parallel universes, is that it? And each angel looks after one
universe? And then Apheta looks after our solar system (she is the mother of
the New Son--er, Sun). Is this how it works?

-alga-

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/

---

From: m.driussi <m.driussi at genie.geis.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 22:48:00 +0000

Reply:  Item #2092170 from URTH at LISTS.BEST.COM@INET02#

alga,

Could you rephrase your question(s)?  Are you asking about Kabbalah
(in all its wooly forms), interpretations of the Urth Cycle (in all
its wooly forms), the intersection of these two sets, or something
else again?

Kabbalah has only four "worlds," which seems to be what your "ten
parallel universes" is relating to, but you are conflating sephiroth
(the ten sephiroth) with worlds (there are four in Kabbalah and "at
least three universes" in the Urth Cycle).  Most K-worlds have more
than one sephira to them.

So your question is . . . ?

=mantis=

P.S. I agree with Mark Millman re: Koran/Chinese.  Not that it
matters much--a single person could speak both languages (for example,
among the communist forces during the Korean War).  (Note: Hethor is
not described as a "xanthoderm," that is, he looks as European as the
Commonality.)  Then again, I myself speak Japanese (years of college
level instruction, years of living in Japan) and Korean sounds very
much like Japanese to me, beyond what the dictionary will tell you
about both being monotone, etc.  Both Korean and Japanese owe a huge
debt to Chinese, but "tone" is not one of the features either language
borrowed.

=m=