Subject: (urth) Hi & a question re: Lexicon Urthus

From: Hmpf MacSlow <hmpf1998 at gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 12:09:49 +0000

Hi there,

I've been thinking for days about what to say here and have finally come to 
the conclusion that there is nothing I can say that would not fall miles 
short of everything that's gone on here before (I've read most of the 
archives by now), so I'll just be shallow and say: this is an amazing list. 
Reading it is almost - not quite - as good as reading Wolfe himself: it 
expands my mind in all kinds of directions and ties my brain in all kinds 
of interesting knots.

One question: is there any way of acquiring the Lexicon Urthus without 
selling my non-existent firstborn for it? I'm a poor student, bereft of the 
means to pay hundreds of euros or dollars for a single book...

Oh, yeah, and just because there don't seem to be many women reading Wolfe, 
at least not on this list, and because I realise my nick is kind of 
neutral, I feel the need to point out that I belong to that rare 
demographic. *g*

What else to say... Well, I've read very little Wolfe so far, just the Book 
of the New Sun and the Urth of the New Sun, and I'm only into my second 
reading of The Shadow of the Torturer (read it first about a year ago, and 
I've only recently been able to buy and read UotNS). Still, even this 
limited contact with his work has propelled Gene Wolfe right to the top of 
my favourites list, next to Tolkien who's been there since I was 16. I 
think it's safe to say that no other book has impressed me as deeply since 
1992, the year I first read LotR, as BotNS has.

And now I'll go back to lurking, I think.

Hmpf

---

"Senseless property destruction has failed me, and so I must resort to 
wackiness."
- Patrick Shaughnessy, Triangle and Robert

---

From: James Wynn <thewynns at earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:05:48 +0000

>means to pay hundreds of euros or dollars for a single book...

That depends on how much your firstborn would bring. :-)

The book is out of print and I'm not selling.

A review of the Internet reveals that it cannot be had for less than $225.

~ Crush

---

From: Hmpf MacSlow <hmpf1998 at gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:13:36 +0000

>That depends on how much your firstborn would bring. :-)

Not very much, considering it doesn't exist, and probably never will. ;-)

>A review of the Internet reveals that it cannot be had for less than $225.

Yes, I know. It's even more expensive in Europe (over 300 euros). Hence my 
question. Any chance of a reprint? I know Michael Andr?-Driussi posts on 
this list...

Somewhat hopeless,

Hmpf

---

From: Christopher Culver <christopher_culver at yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:15:35 +0000

> question. Any chance of a reprint? I know Michael Andr?-Driussi posts on 

Michael Andr?-Driussi left this list quite some time ago.

Christopher Culver

---

From: Maru <marudubshinki at yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 18:25:55 +0000

Hmpf, I'm not sure what the library's are like in Europe, but in
AMerica, when I want a rare, really expensive book, I put in
several inter-library loan requests at my local library.
You said you were a university student?  Would your universitie's
library have any affiliations or alliances with other libraries? 
You might want to look into that- could save you lots of money.
~Maru
--- Hmpf MacSlow <hmpf1998 at gmx.net> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
> 

__________________________________ 
Do you Yahoo!? 
Meet the all-new My Yahoo! - Try it today! 
http://my.yahoo.com