Subject: (urth) Quasar and Cloud

From: Alice Turner <al at interport.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 18:23:44 +0000

For what it's worth, I have never thought that Fortunate Cloud and Quasar were the same ship. But I have never thought it surprising that Jonas and Hethor know each other. Ships dock at the same ports, sailors frequent the same taverns, and, too, they jump ship and sign onto others. OTOH, I've only just begun to seriously entertain the thought that Hethor may indeed be KLS---a name, I have argued for 2 years, Chris, undoubtedly Korean.

FC and Q are (or were) a different order of ship than Tzadkiel's, more mundane, I would say, but also subject to the timewarps of space. (Or do I mean the spacewarps of time?) Thus, though Tzadkiel's ship really is the only one of its kind, there are or were others of a different kind. Hey, there's the Whorl! 

-alga-

---

From: C R Culver <crculver at aol.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 01:49:32 +0000

[Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]

>KLS---a name, I have argued for 2 years, Chris, undoubtedly Korean.<

 Oh, I don't think anyone is arguing that KLS's name is not Korean, but Mantis
believes the language of *Jonas* is not Korean.

>For what it's worth, I have never thought that Fortunate Cloud and Quasar
were the same ship.<

They may have been different, as at this stage of writing the BotNS I'm not
sure Wolfe knew what he was going to do with the Ship of Tzadkiel, as it would
not appear until about 6 years later in his writing. But, Wolfe is extremely
self-consistent.

Christopher R. Culver <crculver at aol.com>
http://members.aol.com/crculver/index.html

*More Wolfe info & archive of this list at http://www.urth.net/urth/