Subject: (urth) Long Sun/Short Sun

From: Gryphoncrossing at aol.com <gryphoncrossing at aol.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:34:38 +0000

I've not yet read these series though I have read the New Sun books, and  was 
wondering if those who have would be interested in sharing their thoughts  re:
 
-Which of these two you prefer, and why
 
-How these tow and New Sun relate
 
Thanks
 
John
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://listserver.dreamhost.com/pipermail/urth-urth.net/attachments/20050322/d129b160/attachment.htm

---

From: James Wynn <thewynns at earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:34:32 +0000

I've not yet read these series though I have read the New Sun books, and was 
wondering if those who have would be interested in sharing their thoughts 
re:

A) Long Sun/Short Sun is a single novel in my opinion in the same 
way...oh...The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi are a single 
movie.

B) I enjoyed reading the Long Sun more. The Long Sun definitely feels like a 
more accessible read although it is multiple strata deeper than you think 
when reading it the first time or after you have finished it. But you won't 
understand a lot of what is going on until you get to the Short Sun (the 
other half of the story). The Short Sun is harder...like The New Sun. 
Reading it I had the same constant feeling of unbalance...of being painfully 
aware that I wasn't sure what was going on.

Its in the same universe. It is best that you have read New Sun first...but 
not absolutely essential.

---

From: Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 22:50:01 +0000

More or less, what Crush said. Reading "Short" without having read
"Long" would be something like reading "Urth of the New Sun" without
having read tBotNS.

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 23:33:47 -0600, James Wynn <thewynns at earthlink.net> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Urth Mailing List
> To post, write urth at urth.net
> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net
> 

-- 
You probably do not want to know what that odor is. 
http://www.livejournal.com/users/sturgeonslawyer