Subject: (urth) Multitudes & Epitomes

From: thalassocrat at nym.hush.com <thalassocrat at nym.hush.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 05:38:53 +0000

The big difference between Ushas/No-Ushas is surely that Ushas 
leads to transcendence - humanity evolves into some kind of angelic 
state, beyond the clutches of time & above this plane of creation. 
Without Ushas, humanity, no matter how abundant, eventually 
disappears with the end of this universe. Anyway, that's my 
understanding, and a straightforward utilitarian analysis points to 
Ushas as the optimal outcome, given that the bliss of one angel is 
surely vaster than the contentment of an infinity of mortals - or 
something like that :)

It would help if we had some kind of hint as to why Ushas is 
essential to this evolution. Perhaps it is not Ushas itself, but 
the sacrifice Ushas reprsents; if so, it would be nice to have some 
more hints on that, too. 

The brief glimpse we get of Ushas isn't very promising. Those 
founders of the new population we meet are reminiscent of the 
passengers on the "B group" colony ship from Hitchikers' Guide to 
the Galaxy - the Urthian equivalents of telephone sanitizers. 
Survivors from The Battle are also in the mix, but they seem like a 
fairly motley bunch also. And Abaia & his minions (and Baldanders?) 
are still around.

I guess Sev is the key. Autarchs who fail the test are gelded so 
that they can't breed; perhaps the converse is that the New Sun is 
supposed to breed *lots*. And he's had some accelerated training in 
the Holy Man profession. Perhaps Ushas as we see it is like a new 
Eden, except this time with a mentor.

But I don't see why Ushas+Sev is more likely to foster a race of 
angels than Blue+Silkhorn. Another uncomfortable little fit between 
New Sun and Long/Short Sun? Or something deeper?

Roy pointed out Sev's lack of apparent qualifications for the role 
of Epitome. I can think of counter-arguments, but there's also a 
Short Sun angle. Horn is the Epitome of humanity for the Neighbors 
when he gives them permission to visit Blue (and also maybe when he 
cleans the sewer). His only qualification appears to be Seawrack's 
ring, which apparently identifies him as somebody Neighbor-
friendly. 

The Neighbors admit that they have fixed the game by choosing Horn 
as Epitome, rather than some other, yet I'm sure we are supposed to 
think that Horn's assent is required, valid and binding, in some 
sense, on humanity. Similarly, Sev has been groomed to give the 
desired outcome, but nevertheless his assent as Epitome is also 
required, valid and bindng. 

I think the same principle is at work in both cases, even though I 
don't really understand it.

---

From: David Duffy <david.duffy at qimr.edu.au>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 21:20:24 +0000

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 thalassocrat at nym.hush.com wrote:

> of Epitome...

A man so various that he seemed to be Not one, but
all mankind's epitome.                --Dryden.

| David Duffy (MBBS PhD)                                         ,-_|\
| email: davidD at qimr.edu.au  ph: INT+61+7+3362-0217 fax: -0101  /     *
| Epidemiology Unit, Queensland Institute of Medical Research   \_,-._/
| 300 Herston Rd, Brisbane, Queensland 4029, Australia  GPG 4D0B994A v