Subject: (urth) RE: 'Doomed multitudes'

From: Tony Ellis <tonyellis69 at btopenworld.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 05:02:26 +0000

I wrote:
>But this is all by the by. Nowhere in the books does it say 
>that in the Frozen Urth future humanity is enslaved by Abaia.
>Nowhere does it say that branch of humanity is doomed.
>It says, quite categorically, that life goes on.

Maru wrote:
>No, it says that life will go on for a little while, and then they
>will all die, forever.

Well now I'm intrigued. Where? Where does it say this?

>May, may may... (How could the Frozen Urthers build any Dyson 
>rings?  It is all they can do to import a few cannons, much
>less engage in mega-engineering projects.  The future of a 
>Frozen Urth is one of *irreversible* decline.

Yes, the future of a Frozen Urth is one of irreversible decline... but
so what? The future of the inhabitants of that Urth, taken to newer,
fairer worlds by merciful cacogens, is anything but.

We already know that their descendants have access to incredible
technology, so why talk as if they never will? Does Master Ash live in a
mud hut? No, he lives in a time machine, a technological marvel right
off the scale on which I would measure a mere ringworld. Given such a
rosy future, anything is possible.